Friday, December 22, 2006

I'm going for that Western, pink-nippled look....


It wasn't long after I started hanging around with Asians that I became aware of certain physical recalibrations that were undertaken in the name of Brittany Spears and Angelina Jolie. These operations are things like Asian blepharoplasty and ("Asian"?) Rhinoplasty. I've even been told, in passing, by a Korean friend of mine that there are certain supermarkets in Seoul where one can find little drive-thru plastic surgery kiosks where, with a couple strokes of a scalpel, can open your eyes, but I can't back that up.

I don't, for a minute, mean to suggest that "Asians" are more proned to buying into some univeral idea of what's beautiful or sexy that is worth the time, the money, the pain, and the risk of having someone chop you open. There are plenty of "Western" people who want to look like "Western" people.

For that matter, there are people who want to look like felines.

This sort of corporeal remodeling doesn't always require surgery, as I learned a while back when I first learned that some girls in Japan (as I was told), actually bleach there nipples to get that rosy, Western-nipple look.

I was surprised to learn that the hue of one's areolae was was important to, well, anyone, much less a large enough body of people around which an actual market could thrive. Upon researching at the Straightdope, I learned that it's not only popular, but it's not the only part of the body that is bleached.

Though, I had seen plenty of examples of products online to know that it was a real phenomenon, I saw my first real in person proof the other day at Watson's pharmacy while shopping for listerine and baby powder (the photo at the top of the post). Seeing a photo of a woman holding her breasts while scanning the shelves, of course, I was distracted and curious.

I got plenty of odd looks (more than usual, at least) as people passing saw me taking picture after picture of a box with a topless woman. As you can see, the picture didn't turn out well, because the glossy cover was to reflective. I assure you, though, that the cover says "Nipple Pigment Lightening Gel." You can see in the background of the photo that there are several other brands to choose from, as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment